A great tool to help with self care is keeping a gratitude journal. This is simply a journal you can use to record the positive things in your life, specifically the things you are thankful for. Sometimes it may be hard to get into the practice of writing down difficulties of life, however it may be easier to bring up the positives.
Benefits of a gratitude journal
Here are a few benefits of keeping a gratitude journal:
- Writing down the things you are thankful for comes from a place of positivity and abundance instead of lack, which puts you in a better frame of mind
- When you bring up positive or happy things, you can help suppress negative thoughts, behaviors, or moods
- Journaling can give you a new perspective or help focus on what is most important
- Recalling positive memories can help you breathe deeper and feel better
- Journaling can help you become more self-aware and mindful
- This practice can help you realize what makes you happy and what you want more of in life
- When you are feeling down, reviewing the journal can lighten up your mood and lift your spirits
- Gratitude journaling can help strike a balance between the highs and lows of everyday life
Gratitude Journal Prompts
- Who are the people you are most thankful for and why?
- What 5 skills are you thankful to possess?
- What 10 things in your life are you thankful for right now?
- What are 15 things that you are thankful for about yourself?
- What are lessons in life you are thankful you have learned?
- What music are you thankful for being able to listen to?
- What sights are you thankful you have seen?
- What about your workplace are you thankful for?
- Which activities are you grateful that you are able to do?
- Which elements of nature are you most thankful for?
- When are times you have laughed the most?
- Who has helped you the most when you needed it?
- Which places or destinations are you the most thankful you have been able to travel to?
Make sure that however you approach your gratitude journal, that you make it unique to you! That may mean writing lists, or drawing, or painting, or using an electronic version. Starting new habits can sometimes be challenging, but give yourself grace, and just do the best you can! This is meant to be helpful and for your benefit. It may be helpful to keep your journal in a place where you can easily get to it when inspiration strikes. I recommend trying to implement a gratitude practice on a daily basis to increase the positive effects. Get creative and enjoy!